Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Days of the Wiki

Playing with wikis is fun. I have spent some time editing two wikis over the past week.

One of them is Wiki Wiki Sandbox. I am responsible for the "Slayer" drawing I did in a notebook a year and a half ago in Ireland. This is a really interesting concept for beginners (or newbs) to learn how to operate on a wiki. I really like the name 'sandbox' as this is all just an older, technological sandbox.

I used the experience on that wiki to edit Wikitravel to include my local neighborhood restaurant from back home. I edited the Silver Spring page to include the Stained Glass Pub.

This experience taught me a lot about wikis and how they operate. This process strikes me as a great way to get the whole story on a subject. Using the changes I made to Wikitravel as an example, I know what the best places to eat at are in Silver Spring, where as a travel book would probably advise people to eat in Rockville or Bethesda.

Maybe somebody out there will find my changes helpful.

1 Comments:

At 5:59 PM, Blogger Eggs Akimbo said...

I only just found out about how Wiki works and it sounds awesome! Good on you for contributing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home