Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Shovelwhere?

According to James Stovall in his book, "Web Journalism," shovelware is a term used to describe "the practice of simply shifting the content produced by the organization for another medium [...] to the web site with little or no change."

I hate when sites use this technique because it disallows for interconnectivity, which Stovall and Biz Stone claim is the backbone of what the internet should be.

This technique is used at The Mirror, Fairfield University's student paper, to transmit newspaper stories to the internet. I feel that my He-Said columns could improve greatly by adding HTML or links. It would provide me with many more opportunities as a writter. This isn't unique to smaller news sites, as CNN.com fails to fully capture all of the possibilities as well.

Someday soon this whole concept of interconnectivity will catch on, and I hope that I'll be at the forefront of the movement.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home